Transitions (TOL) is a Prague-based media development organization whose mission is to actively champion democracy, pluralism, and freedom of expression by strengthening the professionalism, independence, and impact of the media and civil society organizations, with a special focus on Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the former Soviet Union.
Technical manager will report to the executive director and spearhead the organization’s technology development in all its aspects. The technical manager will identify and meet the present and future technological needs of the organization with an eye toward innovation and using effective and cost-efficient methods for meeting the organization’s mission. We anticipate that this is at least a half-time job. The successful candidate will be hired as an external consultant.
- Initiates technical improvements, applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve IT infrastructure;
- Holds responsibility for IT staffing;
- Reviews work of IT team; oversees TOL’s system administrator, IT support in the office and programming needs. Reviews the status/work reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate;
- Oversees all IT-related purchasing and budget usage, works with Accounting to develop budgets;
- Provides technical support for TOL projects, manages technical resources within budget and project schedule;
- Effectively communicates relevant IT-related information to company management.
- Experience in maintaining small-scale computer networks
- Good knowledge of Windows/Linux/Mac OS operating systems
- Understanding of benefits of the various programming languages
- Intermediate knowledge of PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JS, GIT and WordPress CMS
- Understanding of Internet systems architectures
- Good written and communication skills, with a fluency in English
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural communication skills, or at least a minimum level of multicultural understanding
- Previous experience at similar IT position in a not-for-profit organization a plus.