For the past 30 years of freedom, civil society and think-tanks have been touted as crucial stakeholders in the democratic transition process, contributing to the emergence of healthy democracies through strengthening the interplay between citizens and policymakers. However, in recent years certain parts of Central and Eastern Europe has seen democratic backsliding, leading to antagonism towards or outright vilification of civil society and think-tanks.
In the midst of these developments, the challenges of tomorrow – climate change, digitalization, inequality in all its permutations, globalization, as well as Euroscepticism and dividing perceptions of the EU’s role – puts a strong onus on think-tanks, especially in Central and Eastern Europe, to re-orient and to some extent re-invent themselves along those rapid developments.
With the annual publication of the Global Go-To Think-Tank Index, it is an opportune time to reflect on the role of think-tanks in the past 30 years, as well as look towards the role of think-tanks in meeting the challenges of tomorrow.
The event takes place on Thursday, January 30th, from 17:00 to 18:30 at the Prague Creative Center (Staroměstské náměstí 4/1, Prague 1) in the room 219.
- Igor Blahušiak, Head of European Affairs Information Department, Office of the Government of the Czech Republic
- David Král, Head of Foreign Policy Analysis and Planning Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
- Vlaďka Mušálková, Director, Association for International Affairs (AMO)
- Danielle Piatkiewicz, Research Fellow, EUROPEUM Institute for European Policy
Word of welcome and moderation:
- Vladimír Bartovic, Director, EUROPEUM Institute for European Policy
You can find the agenda of the event in this invitation. We would also like to invite you for a small glass of wine after the debate.
The event is also available on Facebook under this link.
We kindly ask you to register for the debate here.
Do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions on our email address email@example.com.