Fellowship in Democracy Assistance at the EPD
In October 2009, the European Partnership for Democracy (EPD) will start a new fellowship programme at its Brussels’ headquarters that will give people working in organisations in the field of democracy assistance the opportunity to experience working at the nerve-centre of European decision making.
This fellowship programme is very much in line with one of the principles upon which the EPD was founded in 2008 – namely, fostering cooperation between European organisations working in democracy assistance.
The aims of these internships are to:-
– make contacts with representatives of the EU institutions working in their field
– exchange information and establish cooperation with EU officials on topics of common interest
– establish new links, or solidify existing ones, with Brussels-based organization
– discuss possible cooperation in advocacy work at EU level with fellow NGOs
– gain first-hand experience of the European Union’s workings from close quarters
– observe how NGOs operate in the Brussels environment
– strengthen ties with the EPD, opening the door to further cooperation in the future
The first fellowship program has been agreed with the EPD’s partners in the Czech Republic, the Association for Democracy Assistance and Human Rights (DEMAS). DEMAS, an independent platform of Czech non-governmental organisations (NGOs), was established in 2008. The founding members comprise eleven NGOs that have, over many years, demonstrated their commitment to supporting democracy assistance, human rights and civil society in the Czech Republic and abroad. DEMAS builds on the solid foundations laid by the important segment of the Czech non-profit sector engaged in the field of democracy assistance, on Czech experience and know-how of the transition to democracy, and also on an enduring sense of shared responsibility for democratic development in countries less fortunate than the Czech Republic. Within the framework of DEMAS, the members will be able to identify their common interests and values, and co-operate more effectively in achieving the maximum impact in the field of human rights.
Form more see www.eupd.eu