People in Need
People in Need (PIN) provides relief aid and development assistance, while working to defend human rights and democratic freedom. In the Czech Republic, People in Need administers social integration programs and provides informative and educational activities. Established in 1992 by Czech journalists and former dissidents, PIN is today one of the largest organizations of its kind in post-communist Europe, and has administered projects in fourty countries over the past sixteen years.
PIN’s Human Rights and Democracy Department is engaged in following types of activities:
- Delivering direct assistance to politically persecuted individuals and their families (financial aid, medical aid, legal aid, advocacy)
- Direct assistance to dissidents and pro-democracy groups operating in challenging environments (material and technical aid, capacity building and training)
- NGO and civil sector capacity building (training, study trips to the Czech Republic, small grant programs) and local democracy assistance program (cooperation with local authorities, transition of Czech experiences)
- Providing various forms of support to independent media and independent journalists
- Transfer of Czech and Central European transition to democracy know-how (study trips to the Czech Republic, internships for young leaders, seminars and trainings in target countries, publishing study materials)
- Networking and cooperation of new EU member states NGOs in the field of human rights protection, democracy promotion and transfer of transition know-how
- Promoting of the cooperation of the state and non-state actors in the field of human rights protection and democracy promotion
- Advocacy on behalf of democrats from challenging environment in the Czech Republic, in Central European region as well as at the EU level
- PIN is also the organizer of the One World Documentary Film Festival, which is the biggest human rights film festival in Europe. Apart from staging it in Prague and twenty-eight Czech cities, One World is assisting NGOs in other countries to develop their own human rights film events (ten HR festivals assisted to date) (www.oneworld.cz).
- PIN gives the annual Homo Homini Award to an individual who has shown extraordinary personal courage and commitment to promoting democracy, human rights and peace.
|Contact person:||Marek Svoboda
Head of Human Rights and Democracy Department
|Adresa:||People in Need
120 00 Praha 2
|Telefon:||+420 226 200 401|